Another year has passed, and a whole new batch of high-kicking, treble-making perfection has been uploaded to YouTube.
Even though I’ve been practically MIA on the blogging front for a year, I just haaaaad to return for this one annual tradition: Counting down the very best Irish dance videos on Youtube.
As in previous years, I’ve determined the top videos based on these factors:
- Videos on the list were found on YouTube using the search term “Irish dance” or “Irish dancing”
- Videos must have been posted to YouTube in the current calendar year (2015)
- Videos are among the most viewed – based on search team and calendar year
- Videos must include ACTUAL Irish dancing. You’re out of luck, cute babies bouncing along to Irish-y tunes. And to those pretending to Irish dance, just stop. You’re embarrassing yourselves.
Without further ado, here are the top 15 Irish dance videos of 2015:
15. Riverdance 20th Anniversary
No better way to kick off the list than recognizing the original Irish dance sensation that opened the world’s collective eye to the power and grace that is step dancing.
14. The Willis Clan’s dance routine
Unlike fellow reality show family the Duggars, the Willis Clan has ACTUAL TALENT. Keep it real, Willis family! Congratulations on making the list.
13. Vienna flashmob
Who doesn’t love a good flashmob?
12. Owen Luebbers – “Stronger”
If this was a list of top Instagram or Vine videos, numbers 1 through 15 would be ALL OWEN LUEBBERS. Happy to say this dancing phenom’s stardom crossed over to YouTube territory to make our annual list.
11. Sarah Louise Dooley and Sinead Mooney – “Cheerleader”
Much like the above social media star in the No. 12 spot, Sarah and Sinead made waves trebling to pop music, too. Get it, girls!
10. Senior ladies figure champions – World Irish Dancing Championships in Montreal
It’s champion time! These senior ladies won Worlds – and it’s no wonder!
9. NAIDC parade of champions – day 3
Champions on champions on champions…
8. City of London Feis parade of champions
What a lovely day for a parade. OF CHAMPS.
7. Mikaela’s recall round at Worlds 2014
Mikaela, make sure to tell your friends and family to not record you while in motion on stage. We don’t want you getting in trouble, deary. But fab dancing!
6. St. Patrick’s Day flashmob in Finland
Again, another flashmob success story.
5. The Next Step: Irish dance
Whoa. What school is this? Love the acapella routine and natural hair on the ladies.
This video was a frontrunner for best Irish dance video of the year – some websites even bestowed that very title upon it without much empirical evidence – but we play by the rules here at RincePop! Still, what an amazing display of talent and cool. As much as I personally love this video, it’s not quite the big winner in terms of video views. For that honor, scroll on down.
3. Lord of the Dance on the “Graham Norton Show”
Technically, these two videos came in third and fourth place respectively. Combined, this clip from the show would be number one on the list. But as they say, united they conquer; divided they fall.
2. ABCs of Irish dance
Call me old and crotchety, but this is weird. Is this a popular YouTube practice? Using the alphabet to display skills? Regardless of my own opinions, Bethany G, the video’s host, is a young dynamo. She has nearly 75,000 YouTube subscribers. Good on you, young lady.
1. Buzzfeed’s Try It Guys try Irish dance
With 2.6 million views and counting, this Buzzfeed video is by far the year’s most popular Irish dance video. This comical display not only made viewers laugh, but it proved just how difficult even the most basic Irish dance steps can be. Also, Zane’s teeth.
*HONORABLE MENTION: Fusion Fighters Orchestra
This gem of a video should be in the top four, but it didn’t appear in an initial search for “Irish dance” or “Irish dancing.” But let’s not hold that against these talented gentlemen. I BLAME GOOGLE.
*HONORABLE MENTION: ProdiJIG: Revolution
Like the Fusion Fighters video above, this theatrical event of a dance video also evaded the qualifying YouTube search. But with more than 100k views, there is NO WAY we can leave ProdiJIG off the list. Well done, to say the very least.