1. Irish dancing beauty queens: Two contestants in the Miss America pageant listed Irish dancing as their talent. Both Miss Connecticut Kaitlyn Tarpey and Miss Illinois Brittany Smith are among the nation’s most beautiful, intelligent and talented women.
Tarpey made it through to the talent round, performing a hard shoe routine to “Reel Around the Sun” from Riverdance. She did not, though, get the chance to answer a question in the interview round.
2. 100 days until Christmas: As of midnight, we’re 100 days away from Christmas. What better way to prepare than to review my Irish dance Christmas list from last year? I’ll be pulling together a brand new list for the upcoming holiday season — a list sure to include beautiful baubles like this hand-painted O’Rourke ornament, posted to the dance school’s Facebook page over the weekend:
3. Lord of the Dance and King of Pop were planning project: Michael Flatley says he was working on a project with Michael Jackson when MJ died. According to UK’s Mirror, Flatley and Jackson were talking about a dance and music spectacular.
“Once he came to my house, he had just turned 50 and we were born the same year. I said, ‘Why don’t we do something together and we’ll call it 50/50’.
“We were that close to it happening and it broke my heart. It would have been a dream. Michael was such a great performer.”
4. Shine bright like a diamond: Feisonista wrote up this fab post about some of the more striking highlighter hues hitting the dancefloor.
5. “Parade of Champions” book on the way: Top Irish dancers from around the globe have been interviewed for a new book all about, well, champions.
“We have gathered the blood, sweat, and tears of all of the top champions, the dancers who have stood atop the podium, danced in the Parade of Champions, worn the sash, and raised the trophy,” the book’s about me section of the official website reads. “We asked them for their secrets, their inspirations, what drives them.”
Here’s a quote from the book: